Kogarah Lions Club was the founding club for the first service club in the Sutherland Shire – Lions Club of Caringbah. In March 1957 Kogarah club sponsored the Caringbah Lions and the charter was presented on May 20 1957 making it Club No. 87.
The late 1950’s was a time of rapid social change. Post war migration was having a great effect on Caringbah’s population – its size and composition. Farmers- market gardeners, orchardists, pig and fowl farmers – were moving out from the inner city; and the State Housing Commission was busily engaged in subdivisions throughout the area.
The club had a local focus from the outset. At Sutherland a group of parents with developmentally damaged children had formed themselves into the NSW Handicapped Children’s Centre. Caringbah Lions threw themselves behind this fledgling association, with building help and fundraising. During the late50’s schools for the mentally or physically handicapped received virtually no government support. Volunteers (mainly parents) funded and ran any schools then in existence.
A building project of Caringbah Lions was the Sutherland Shire Community Chest Exhibition home at Sutherland, cnr of River Rd and Linden St. Council donated the land; Caringbah Lion Gordon Leech was honorary builder and members provided much of the labour. The house exhibited the latest in building and decorating developments
Before traffic lights - safety equipment donated by Caringbah Lions to school at Gymea Bay
Thomas Holt Memorial Village was extended in 1968. Caringbah Lions were at the forefront in preparing the new sections